Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday night feast

Last night we held our weekly Friday night dinner with the foreigners from the city. We had our normal group and some new people, including a girl from Spain, two guys from France (two too many for my taste :), a girl from Switzerland, and a guy from Sudan. The dinner was one of the best I have had since I've been to China; I really wish I had taken some pictures. In the end we each owed about $13 (which is way more than I normally like to pay), but we did get a feast. Steamed greens and clams, slices of cucumber with mashed potatoes on top and raspberry sauce, gongbao style shrimp, a shrimp omelet, fried potato balls, fried duck heads and wings, a whole fish, black fungus and turnips, prawn cakes, a sizzling platter of little steaks, and of course a plate of fried rice. When we thought we were finally done, the Sudanese guy broke out a kilo of dates that he had shipped over from Sudan (he told me his family shipped him about 25 kilos of dates which cost them about 500 American dollars to ship (something tells me his family is pretty wealthy)) and those who were able to fit anything else in their stomach had a delicious dessert. Here is a picture of the bag of dates that he sent home with me. (they are also great for breakfast as I just discovered)


And because of the lack of pictures at the beginning of this post, I will include a picture of my kitten looking like he/she (still not a 100 percent sure) owns the place.

1 comment: